As an office refurbishment company with our Head Office in Salfords, Surrey, we are neighbours to a multitude of successful multinational companies with their headquarters in this beautiful county. So for our first instalment of our #LoveSurrey Twitter campaign, we explore discover the facts and figures of this 'powerhouse' economy.
Key facts highlighted in #LoveSurrey:
- With a resident population of 1.1 million, Surrey is the third most populated and the most densely populated county inh the South East.
- Surrey's GVA was worth £26.5bn in 2007, its economy being almost equivalent, in GVA terms, to that of Birmingham and Liverpool (England's Second and third largest cities by population) combined.
- Surrey is home to an estimated 61,600 workplaces, of which around 53,000 are VAT or PAYE registered enterprises.
- The vast majority of Surrey's businesses (88%) are micro businesses employing less than 10 people and 81% employing fewer than five staff.
- Surrey has high quality green and open spaces and has 12 Green Flag Award sites (the national standard for parks and open spaces).
- Surrey is said to have the highest number of millionaires in the UK.
Source: Surrey Local Economic Assessment, December 2010 and Wikipedia.