With our Head Office in Salfords, near Horley, we are just a stones throw away from the border of West Sussex and about 10 minutes from the Gatwick Diamond.
As an office refurbishment company working with local businesses to improve their workplaces, it seemed natural to kick off our #LoveSussex Twitter campaign with a focus on the local economy in West Sussex. Gatwick and Crawley are not only home to the 2nd busiest UK airport but also a number of major manufacturing, engineering, logistics and services firms, such as Nestle, Thales, Vent-Axia and Virgin to name just a few.
Key facts highlighted in #LoveSussex:
- Gatwick is the second busiest UK airport by Passenger numbers, generating £2bn in GVA, with 23,000 jobs on site.
- Shoreham Port handled around 400,000 tonnes of cargo in 2012.
- Whereas homes across England cost 7.1 times the average annual salary, in West Sussex, homes cost on average 9.2 times the average annual workplace salary. In Chichester, this figure rises to 11, although in Arun housing is far more affordable at 6.8 times average annual salaries.
- The West Sussex economy generates a gross value added (GVA) of £16.6bn for the UK economy, or 1.2 of national average.
- West Sussex employs just over 355,000 people and is home to just under 31,000 businesses.
Source: The WSIEC (West Sussex Independent Economic Commission) report on 'West Sussex and its economy'.