Finalise the specification, costs and programme for the office fit out
Now you've found your new office premises, you can get on with firming up the details of the office fit out, including:
- Final space plan
- Amount of refurbishment required - mechanical, electrical, ceilings, lighting, flooring, decorating and installation of communal areas, reception, meeting rooms and partitioning.
- Location of IT equipment - comms and data room, printers, photocopiers and faxes.
- Guaranteed start and finish dates
- Obtain the necessary building regulations and landlord approvals before the work commences
- Sign off the drawings
When moving from your current premises, you need to do so in accordance with the requirements of your lease. Consider:
- When the lease expires
- How much notice is required
- If there is a break clause
- How you are required to give notice
Consider what office furniture can be re-used and recycled and what office furniture you need to purchase. Most office fit out companies will have good relationships with furniture manufacturers and should be able to provide a wide choice of off the shelf furniture as well as being able to source something bespoke.
Plan for minimising disruption
- Check that your insurance covers every eventuality
- Draw up a detailed plan for moving staff, storage and filing
Have regular site meetings
Once work starts, ensure you have regular project meetings with your office fit out partner. Agree any changes and alterations as you go along, minute every meeting and regularly review the budget.
Obtain quotes for removals and IT Support
Be sure to get a few quotes from reputable and reliable companies. Arrange for the delivery of all the required packing and crates and label everything clearly.
Organise the move
Ensure the move date is booked with the removal company and you have it in writing. Make sure your insurance cover is in place on the new premises for the big day. For the removal and relocation of IT and telecoms you'll need to:
- Create an inventory of all equipment
- Double check the number and location of all power cables and sockets
- Send your relocation company the IT and workstation plan
- Agree the cabling configuration
- Have a contingency plan in case of delay
- Agree the plan internally and with your relocation company
Communicate with prospects, clients, suppliers and any other parties such as the bank, HMRC, Companies House and utilities providers, about the date of the move and the new address. This is an opportunity to create some positive PR by telling them about your reasons for the office relocation.
Organise re-directions: royal mail, phone, fax and modem and terminate old contracts.
Now the hard work is over and you are ready for move-in day. All that's left is for you to enjoy your new office premises and familiarise yourself with the local area.
Trevor Blake have 25 years experience of providing office fit out services to companies relocating to new office premises. We cover Surrey, Sussex, London and the South East. If you'd like to arrange a free, no obligation consultation, give us a call on 01293 775 509.